I’ve worked on a nice little project this week, taking it from nothing to a finished (abet test) garment in only six days!
Back in May I went to the Cameo Auction and acquired the original tapestry waistcoat worn by Peter Davison in Planet Of Fire (see left).
It is my first piece of screen used proper costume I have bought, though it is only worn briefly in a couple of episodes. That said it is very distinctive and quite striking (see below).
I then have a few sundry pieces to draw up for the welted pockets, their pocket bags and the back strapping.
I now have a usable pattern, allowing for darts, pleats and seam allowances. It might appear to be a long way around, but it is the only way to arrive at a working pattern that works first time.
Since there are a total of SIX (count them!) pockets to set on the front, I’d like to have a go at setting them in a similar fabric to troubleshoot any potential problems. The remnant was half price, so a bargain I could not pass up!
The rest of my test will be done using calico and lightweight cotton for lining.
Check back soon to see how I got on with making my fully-worked calico test.